Back to: OIAA June Assembly 2023
Welcome and Announcement of Quorum
Minutes of March 2023 Assembly
***New Business was tabled during the Assembly in favor of more discussion. All new business will be discussed and voted on at the 29 July Assembly.
OIAA’s Treasurer will ask the Assembly for approval on these financial guidelines:
A. The Treasurer will present and ask for approval on the proposed Vendor Process as:
OIAA Vendor Process
- Determine what independent contractor vendor you would like to use and have them provide a contract. If the vendor does not produce their own contract, please use OIAA vendor contract template.docx. Download the form and send it to the vendor.
- Submit the vendor signed contract to firstname.lastname@example.org. The OIAA chair will countersign the contract.
- After receiving the approval of the OIAA chair, request vendor (if it is an individual and a US citizen) to fill out https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf and have vendor send it to email@example.com.
- Ensure that the money that is going to be spent is already in the budget. If not, please download and submit the unbudgeted request form unbudgeted request.xlsx to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If it is in the budget, services can be contracted. If not, the unbudgeted request may be approved by the board if it is under $500. If it is under $500, the board has the discretion to bring the expense for an assembly vote if they believe that it needs a full group conscience. If it is over $500, it will need to go before the assembly for approval/disapproval. After the unbudgeted expense is approved, services can be contracted.
- After services are rendered, the vendor should send an invoice to the requester. After review, the requester forwards the invoice to email@example.com. This lets the treasurer know that the services have been rendered and should be paid.
- Treasurer makes payment.
B. A process for Unbudgeted Expense Requests. Unbudgeted Expenses can occur at any time in a budget year. The proposed form will be used for requesting funds for needs that become known after the beginning of the budget year.
C. The Board adopts a policy that any unbudgeted expenditure exceeding $500.00 will be approved by the Assembly at its next regularly scheduled meeting.
OIAA’s standing committees and general operations are currently experiencing a rapid and steep learning curve in the development of its online and international communications. The Treasurer asked OIAA’s standing committee chairs to submit ideas they have for expanding their 12-Step work.
The following Unbudgeted Expense Requests are submitted to the Assembly for a vote of approval:
D. Archives Unbudgeted Expense Request
Attend NAATW in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada in September 2023 $1000.00
Laptop for work in completing Archivists service $1000.00
Total Unbudgeted Expense for Archives $2000.00
E. Cooperation with the Professional Community / Public Information
OIAA’s CPC Committee has collected a panel of members who are proven professionals in a variety of disciplines. They want to communicate to audiences of professionals outside of AA that serve clientele that may need referrals to AA. These professionals deserve the consult of professional communicators in order to create the most efficient and effective messages and presentation materials for delivering the message to the public that AA is available. These committees have many topics to cover in their outreach. Topics to create immediately: What AA is and What AA is not; Our Third Legacy of Service; An Introduction to AA Meetings, and others. The plan is for CPC and PI to partner on the development of these important messages. Once developed, these videos can be translated into languages other than English.
The total amount requested is to ensure funds are available for the projects as they become available to be developed. The funds will not be spent if the videos: 1. Are not created; or 2. Cannot be completed by the end of 2023.
Video Creation $2000.00
Professional Services to create Public Service Announcements (PSA) and informational & educational videos. The amount requested is to ensure funds are available for the projects as they develop.
Translation Services $1000.00
In order to serve an international community, OIAA’s video can be created in English and then translated by professionals for outreach to professionals.
The total request is for CPC Committee $3000.00
I. Motion: Remove the Finance Chairperson from the OIAA Board of Officers and change the Bylaws Section 4.01 Officers:
Section 4.01. Officers. The Voting Members shall elect the following Officers: a President (hereafter referred to as “Chairperson”), a Vice President (hereafter referred to as “Vice Chair”), Secretary, Treasurer, Finance Chairperson, and Technology Chairperson. Elections will be held annually.
Background: The reason that the Finance Chairperson should be removed from the above section is that the Treasurer already holds a position on the board of directors for a financial position. Having an additional board member from finance is unnecessary and may skew decisions from a financial perspective. It keeps it simple.
II. Motion: Remove the service position of Finance Chairperson and change subsection 4.01(d): Treasurer of the Bylaws to reflect the changes below. The Treasurer and Alternate Treasurer will lead the Finance Committee and OIAA will no longer have the positions of Finance Chairperson or Alternate Chairperson.
Subsection 4.01(d): Treasurer. The Treasurer maintains the Intergroup’s corporate financial records, tax returns, detailed accounting of receipts and disbursements; and provides summaries and reports to the Intergroup at least quarterly. The Treasurer chairs the Finance Committee. The Treasurer works with the Finance Committee to prepares the annual budget and presents it to the Member Assembly for a vote. The Treasurer receives contributions and maintains the Intergroup’s funds in an account in the name of the Intergroup. With approval of the Board, the Treasurer oversees and maintains any financial professional services.
Changing the Finance chair to the elected position of the Treasurer is in alignment with other committees within OIAA, such as the Tech Committee has the Tech Officer serve as the committee chair. It solidifies the idea that there is a definite singular point person for financial matters. The Treasurer also has the fiduciary responsibility, not the committee, to provide the budget. The Treasurer will receive input from the committee, but the budget is ultimately the Treasurer’s responsibility.